22 December 2009

Ho...Ho...NOOOOO!

I really thought this year would be different. I don't bother waiting in line at the mall or taking them anywhere special to see Santa Claus, because, for one thing they have been terrified of the guy in years past. Also, I don't like to make it the emphasis of our Christmas celebration. Anyway, he does make an appearance at our church Christmas party. Knowing this, I decided to let Mina and Calvin in on a little secret. I told them that Santa would be coming to the party, BUT, it's not THE real Santa... Santa has many helpers... and I told them WHO from church would be dressed up in the Santa COSTUME. They were concerned, "How will he tell Santa what we want for Christmas?" "He emails Santa a full report" I told them. Lots of good questions, but it seemed to be okay to them and to get them a bit more excited and not freaked out. They were even worried about slipping and telling their friends the secret, or saying "Hi Brother Bowker" instead of "Hi Santa." I thought that was funny, since they never say "hi" to adults anyway. Even in line, it seemed like I would actually get a picture of the kids with Santa. Then it was our turn... Mayzie dutifully went up to Santa and got on his lap, I think she saw that other kids were getting candy canes.

This is when she began to sense that Mina and Calvin were not coming anywhere near Santa. They were in fact, pulling on me, yanking me in the other direction. She must have sensed their fear because when we saw Santa later...

...She started screaming and crying! She even said "Santa scary" over and over! It did not help that Santa came right up to the girls and tried to talk to them. Mina screamed her head off, I am not exaggerating! Mayzie saw that and followed suit. Slowly we have convinced her that Santa is nice, not scary.
Oh well, maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment